Ever wanted to know how to upcycle an old desk?
Before I had my babies, I ran my business from a bedroom on our first floor landing.
This lovely room was chock-full of all of my work stuff; samples, paper-stock, cutting board, printer — and a HUGE desk. But when we found out I was pregnant we decided that this particular room would make the perfect nursery; so bit by bit my workroom was disassembled and shipped out — in boxes — to my husband’s office.
As a result, my Mac lost its permanent home and was given ‘temporary’ residence on an uninspiring IKEA shelving unit in the dining room. Now don’t get me wrong, I love IKEA.
Not a whole houseful of it, granted, as you’d end up feeling as though you were living in one of their stores, but used sparingly it is fabulous (plus I’m obsessed with their meatballs.
Horse or not, they are the most delicious thing to come out of Sweden.
Apart from Dime Bars).
That said, the white melamine unit — that was originally bought to dress our stand when we exhibited at the NEC — was never meant to furnish our home and certainly not a piece that I wanted on permanent display.
And not only that, trying to design — using a mouse — when you don’t have a proper, decent sized, desk-top is a nightmare.
So my mission was to find out how to upcycle an old desk.
How to upcycle an old desk.
Here’s what I did…
1. Bought a lovely, solid oak, desk off Ebay; a little bit tired…
2. …and in need of some love and attention…
3. …but with BAGS of potential.
4. I bought some paint and some furniture wax.
5. Took the old handles off.
6. Sanded the entire desk with fine grade wire wool. Then waxed it.
7. Got my glamorous assistant to drill new holes for the new handles.
8. Painted and waxed the drawer fronts.
9. Added the new handles.
10. The insides of the drawers were a little bit dusty and rough…
11. …so I lined them with some gorgeous, vintage airmail stamp paper.
12. Et voila. My beautiful new
So happy with it.
It doesn’t look quite as tidy now it’s got all my stuff on it but hey. You can’t have everything!! ;)