Back in July I was asked to take part in a little upcycling competition, entitled make a house a home, with Ocean Finance.
You know me — any excuse to get the paints out — there’s nothing I like more than giving something a face-lift.
So of course I agreed!
Roll on a few months — with just a couple of days to spare — I finally got around to making a start (time management is definitely not one of my strong points since having the twins).
To complete the task, I was sent a sweet little wooden birdhouse plus a £25 Buddly Crafts voucher to buy any supplies I might need, to turn it into something special.
It was a bit of a plain Jane. And also quite lonely looking.
So what’s a girl to do with a lonely little birdhouse?
Make things a little more sociable and add a couple of others to keep it company of course!
I decided to turn my bird house in to a row of beach huts.
How to make a beach hut birdhouse
We went to Brighton recently and saw lots of lovely beach-huts at the sea-front and it gave me the inspiration to paint the birdhouses in a similar way.
With my voucher, I ordered a couple more birdhouses and two pots of chalkpaint. I’d already got half a pot of Annie Sloan’s Old White chalkpaint — from the chest of drawers upcycle — so chose Vintage Green from Americana Decor and a mauve chalky vintage look paint from Viva Decor.
Chalkpaint is fab for outdoor items.
In order to make the birdhouses butt up together, I had to saw off the overhanging roof and base either side of the middle house and the left and the right of the edges of the outside boxes.
My GCSE woodworking skills came into play and it was a fairly simple task to do this ;)
Next, I stuck the three houses together using a glue gun, then filled any gaps with woodfiller. When it was dry I sanded it down, then gave it a coat of white chalkpaint.
When the first coat was dry I painted the designs using the coloured chalkpaint.
If I’m 100% honest, the coverage on the green was much, much better than the mauve. The paint seemed to contain a lot more pigment and the finish was much smoother and not as patchy.
And here is the house after painting.
Definitely an improvement. I like to think of it as social housing, although my boy pointed out that some garden birds are fairly territorial and probably won’t appreciate my efforts.
Neither would they appreciate my final addition — some tiny bunting! This is purely for decorative purposes as it’s made from paper and string. Plus, I don’t think the birds will be able to get in the doors — let alone appreciate it — but I thought it looked very sweet!
So there we have it. A coastal inspired beach-hut bird house.
I hope you enjoyed this up-cycling project as much as I did!
I thought it would be quite a fun thing to film the bird house being transformed but, annoyingly, didn’t really manage to capture any of the final stages, as I spread the project over two days and it rained on the second day.
Also, my boy filmed the sawing part and forgot to turn the phone to landscape so, once again, we’re blighted by the irksome black lines either side of the frame. Never-mind. Live and learn.
In future I must remember to leave myself more time and not do things at the last minute!!
This post is my entry into the Ocean Make A House A Home competition. I was gifted one wooden birdhouse and a £25 voucher for Buddly Crafts in order to take part.